|Chillicothe Museum Celebrates New Exhibit Season at Open House
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
by Amanda McKay, C-T News Reporter
CAPTION: Dr. Frank E. Stark, president of the Grand River Historical Society and board member Jerry Nibarger prepare the exhibit of local photographer Leo Moren. Moren owned a camera shop on Washington Street, close to where the Chamber office is now, when photography was less than digital and more than a printable photo card no bigger than a thumb
print. The Grand River Historical Society Museum houses an exhibit of his equipment along with an exhibit of the old Chillicothe Drive-In Theatre, on Highway 65 going north.
C-T Photo/ Cathy Ripley
April 9, 2008 - The public is invited to get the story of Chillicothe's heritage by visiting Grand River Historical Society's open house this Sunday, April 13. The museum is looking forward to a new and exciting exhibit season and welcomes all to attend the open house from 1 until 4 p.m. Admittance is free and refreshments will be served. Door prizes will also be given away every 30 minutes. Special activities for the day include knitting, weaving, and spinning demonstrations as well as an animal pelt display from the Missouri Department of Conservation.
A trip inside the museum will demonstrate exhibits that include
Indian artifacts, an old-time jail cell and switchboard, a railroad exhibit, military uniforms and much more. One of the newest additions to the museum is a friendship quilt from 1931, donated from the family of a former resident of Chillicothe. The quilt contains many names of residents of Chula in 1931. Anyone with information about this quilt or the names that appear are asked to contact the museum. Antique cars will also be on exhibit at the open house, including a 1947 fire engine. These classic automobiles are housed in a separate annex at the museum site. Many of the vehicles have been featured in various parades in Livingston County. Others on display at the museum include the Moore Monument wagon, the Churchill tractor Ford truck, a rebuilt 1932 trailer and an Irvinbilt 1554 truck.
The Grand River Historical Society Museum consists of four areas. The main building contains display cases, a working printer from the Constitution-Tribune, working train whistles, a loom and many more artifacts. It chronicles the days of the Civil War and the Vietnam War and items dating back to a time when more than 50 trains per day stopped at Chillicothe's three train depots. Exhibits include items from Chillicothe Business College, the State Training School for Girls and other businesses in Livingston County from long ago. The Grand River Historical Society Museum is preparing for an exciting exhibit season. Future activities are being planned for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, and many more special activities and events throughout the summer. Regular hours for the museum are Saturdays and Sundays running through October from 1 to 4 p.m. Admittance is always free.
The Grand River Historical Society is a non-profit organization and is run entirely on a volunteer basis, all donations of artifacts are welcome and appreciated. Their goal is to preserve artifacts in order to preserve our history for the next generation of Livingston County residents.